There are a lot of effective methods that you can apply to your workplace to save energy, but the contributions done by your employees can also make a great difference. You can train your staff about being more conscious about saving energy in the office. If they are more careful, that will decrease your overall energy consumption. If you have no idea where to start with energy efficiency then carry on reading to implement some of our best energy-saving tips into your business today.
In offices, your main goal should be to avoid wasting energy as much as possible. The tips stated below can help you and your staff save more and more by doing the bare minimum.
Negotiate a Better Deal
A massive benefit that businesses have over residential energy is that they always have room for bargaining with suppliers. Due to numerous suppliers, businesses can try to negotiate the best possible terms for their businesses. A lot of key factors that come into consideration include business energy tariffs, contract duration, and much more. Many suppliers offer better prices for longer contracts. However, binding your business for longer durations for this incentive is not always the right thing to do. Allow our team of experts to negotiate on your behalf by tapping into our diverse network to get you incredible deals.
12 Small Business Energy-Saving Tips
1. Get an energy audit: Reviewing your energy use from time to time can help you estimate your overall energy consumption and help you highlight the spots where you need to save energy. Many electric utility companies offer free audits. An expert will reach out to you and do a complete check of your place and monitor if there are any insulation issues, and check the areas where there is a need for improvement.
2. Purchase energy-efficient office equipment: When renting or buying your appliances, check the electronics if they are ENERGY STAR-rated. The appliances that are rated Energy star are known to be energy efficient and they can save you a lot of money on energy bills. It can curb energy costs for your small business, especially in the long run.
3. Reduce Peak Demand: Peak demand also affects your net energy consumption. This is the time in which you use most energy or when all your devices are in use.
4. Program your thermostats: There is no need to keep the heating or cooling systems running even after all people have left the office. You should opt for programmable or smart devices that turn themselves off at set timings so that excess energy is not used.
5. Turn off lights when not in use: It might seem simple but sometimes lights are kept turned on in bathrooms, rooms, and conference rooms when no one is there. Consider using automatic lighting throughout the office so the lights go off automatically when no one is there.
6. Use energy-efficient light bulbs: Energy-saving devices and bulbs save a considerable amount of energy in workplaces. Switching to LED or CFL from your traditional light bulbs can help by consuming less amount of business electricity and can decrease your bills altogether.
7. If your office space has a lot of windows then make use of natural light during the day instead of always using light. You can also set up solar panels to help generate energy. Solar energy can consume less kilowatt by every passing hour and lets you take advantage of natural energy at no cost.
8. Start running fans: Replacing the use of air conditioners with fans can cause a considerable decrease in your bills. Keeps the fans running so that HVAC systems can run more effectively.
9. Switch off all the devices at the end of working hours: Remember to turn systems off when leaving at the end of the day. Make your employees mindful of the effects it can have if the devices stay powered on all the time. Try unplugging as many devices as possible while leaving the office. These appliances include toasters, coffee makers, and other appliances that are commonly used in offices.
10. Prevent “Phantom energy”: Phantom energy is the energy that is used by the device when devices are kept plugged in even when not in use. Surge protectors enable you to turn off many devices at one time by flipping only one switch. Connect your monitors and printers to power strips to save energy on large scale.
11. Miscellaneous tips: Not only focus on the building while working on energy efficiency, there are tons of things you can look into to save energy. For example, if you have the opportunity then plant trees around your work area to cool down the temperature in the summer season. It will reduce your cooling costs and then reduce your cost of energy.
12. Get employees engaged in energy-efficient practices: Training employees on energy efficiency and getting them involved in the process might take time but could have excellent results. They need to be part of your energy efficiency campaign for it to be successful.
On average in normal small businesses the heating and cooling systems make up 40% of the energy cost of the business. Some of the below mentioned common tips and tricks can assist you in reducing your heating and cooling cost
Ways to save money by reducing electric heating and cooling costs
You should start with estimating the overall requirement and power expenses of your workplace. You can discuss the following questions with your team to work together in planning an effective method for saving energy.
7 Ways to Save Energy on Small Business HVAC systems
Taking an extensive look at your organization's energy utilization will assist with developing strategies to make saving money on the independent company more efficient for your business. The warming, ventilation, and cool frameworks (known as HVAC) devour the majority of your energy in the working environment. Here are some office energy-saving tips for your HVAC:
- Insulate properly and Monitor Leaks: Search for spots where your loss of cooling or heating is occurring. There's absolutely no reason to pay for wasted energy! Have the energy-reviewer check windows and entryways for any sort of leaks within the building. Check for these yourself or recruit an energy analyst to do as such.
- Introduce programmable indoor regulators: These indoor regulators empower you to reduce the usage and the temperature when nobody is near. Keeping your office temperature one degree lower in the colder time of year and one degree higher in the summers can lessen the force on your HVAC framework utilization by up to 10 percent!
- Maintenance of HVAC hardware is crucial: Make sure all your equipment receives proper maintenance check every once in a while. Not sure where to begin? ENERGY STAR's upkeep agenda offers tips that will guarantee that you’ll be able to keep on bringing down your energy costs. Likewise, be aware of the life span of your equipment. The present climate control systems utilize 30% less energy to deliver a similar measure of cooling as those made during the 1970s. Even with a climate control system only 10 years of age, you could save 20% in cooling costs if it's replaced with a more up-to-date, productive model.
- Consider replacing your system: In case replacing your system seems feasible, searching for ENERGY STAR-affirmed gear is the right way to begin shopping. These items are guaranteed to be excellent in quality and as compared to previously installed older models offer excellent energy efficiency.
- Abstain from over-estimating any substitution gear while applying energy saving thoughts in the working environment. Buying a lot of new replacements can build support costs and furthermore increment energy utilization. A guaranteed HVAC expert can inform you as to whether the hardware you presently work with is outdated or adequate, and if it's working at the greatest energy productivity.
- Change air channels consistently: A few producers propose changing each month, while others suggest at regular intervals. The key is to check the channel in your HVAC gear consistently; if it looks grimy, then you should change it. Dust impedes the air through the hardware and thus the system burns through more energy. Cleaning consistently can diminish the cost of maintenance and can keep the framework from getting more dirty and inefficient.
- Seal your warming and cooling pipes: Conduits move air to and from a constrained air heater or focal forced-air system. On the off chance that they are not fixed appropriately, they can be large energy losses and this results in large losses of money. Fixing and protecting conduits can improve your warming and cooling framework efficiency by as much as 20%. In air pipe, support ought to incorporate pipes that go through unfinished plumbing spaces, lofts, and unheated cellars.
Hope this article was helpful on how to switch business energy. Now that you have enough information about how to save business energy and spare money, you can reach out to our team of energy experts for us to help identify further key areas of improvement to ensure that your business gets the best possible deal for your business.